Thursday, August 04, 2011

Math fun

This has been the first week since summer started that we haven't had any activities going on for the week (VBS, summer camp, VBS, camping etc...).  The kids are already bored :-)  I find this amusing, since I know there are only 2 1/2 weeks left until we start the new school year.  (did I say that correctly?? I can't even BELIEVE the summer is going by so quickly!!).

Anyways, I pulled out some of my fun non-schooly books off the shelf and the kids came running to the table to see what I was up to.

We spent yesterday painting animal pictures and talking about color.  I drew the parrot (and Sammy helped), and Z and H did some sort of weasle. E did the Eagle, Peter did another Parrot and JP drew an apple with drums around it (LOL... he's always the one who's a bit different).

This morning I pulled out the book "Math Wizardry for Kids"  and we started with the first chapter on triangles and making a magic cat out of triangles.  Then we practiced measuring the angles with a protractor and finding out the secret of triangle angles.  We learned about hypotenuse, scalene, right angle, and isocolese (sp???) triangles.    I love this book. It's solid math, but the kids loved it and wanted to do more!!



 We also had an enormously fun time playing with a box of cornstarch and a whole lot of water.  What a mess, but my, it was fun.  I highly recommend it.  I have no idea why it behaves the way it does (guess we'll have to look into that for a chem lesson tomorrow), but the kids had a blast.

1 comment:

Wee Pip said...

I just caught up reading your posts. It's great to "see" you again! Goodness, can't believe your 4mo is crawling! My preemies have always given me a full year of infancy (it's kinda nice, lol!) Georgie (my 3rd & who is now 27mths) didn't crawl until she was 12+ mos and didn't walk until 17mths. I can only imagine the crazy times at your house, but I bet you all have a lot of fun!
Sarah