Thursday, January 04, 2007

Ten things I love starting with the letter D

Thanks to Dawn at By Sun and Candlelight for giving me a letter for this fun post. If you want to do one, leave me a comment and I'll give you a letter too :-)
----------------------------
My 10 favorite D things:

My Dad
What girl couldn't love a daddy like mine? He's gentle and kind, funny, strong, a great hugger, and smart. He kills mice, fixes things, cleans my house when i'm overwhelmed, moves furniture and always tells me he loves me with a wonderful smile. Love ya dad!

Doughnuts
My parents always bring over a box of doughnuts when they come visiting on mondays and I love them!! Too bad they have Dairy in them (a D word that I despise because it always causes problems with my breastfed babies).

Daisies
My favorite sunny flowers. They are so cheery, and bring a smile to my face. My neighbour generously donated some last summer to be planted along my picket fence out front, and I hope they survive and take over!!

Doug
My little cousin Douggie was so much fun to play with when I was a kid. He is like the little brother I never had. When we were playing hide-and-seek with him, we could always find him by yelling out the word 'NUTMEG!' because sure enough he would start giggling away. What a cutie-pie!

Dough
I love baking, although I don't seem to have much time for it these days. There's something so satisfying about doing everything by hand. I have a fancy mixer, but it's always more fun to mix the dough with a wooden spoon, or knead things with your good clean hands. THe kids think so too!

Doorbell
When it rings, I know that there is someone there to break up the monotony of the day and give me some adult conversation... even if it just the vegetable delivery man. Since the twins came, I have come to love the sound of the stomp, stomp (on the porch), ding-dong.

Dating my dh
We don't do this enough (wonder why? anyone want to watch 5 kids under 7 for me tonight?) but I sure do love spending one on one time with my sweetie. Movies, bookstores, coffe shops, grocery stores... whatever, as long as it's with just him.

Dusk
One of my favorite things is going for a walk just at dusk. I love the way the sunlight turns golden and casts everything in a soft warm glow, looking like it had come fresh from the makers hands.

Dinner time
Although there isn't a lot of food that actually gets eaten during dinner time, I love that it is a chance for all of us to be together as a family. It's a little overwhelming to look around and see those five little faces that we are so responsible for.. especially when we can't seem to get them to actually eat anything (how are they going to grow?), but we know they are all such blessings to us, and we are richer than any king and queen.

Desert
Of course! Chocolate, cake, chocolate cake, pie.. yummy.. i'll have seconds!

Dainty things
Anything feminine and pretty, light and delicate. I'm not elegant, and I wouldn't consider myself beautiful.. but I would love to be pretty and delicate. Gentle, and sweet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your nature, Melanie, is pretty and delicate. Gentle, and sweet.

Alice Gunther said...

Great job on this list!

You have inspired me to tackle my assignment--the letter S!

Jane Ramsey said...

D-lightful list, Melanie!
(First time visiting your blog!)