Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Addition

Well we are back at school again, all of us healthy and happy for now :-)

Yesterday Elizabeth started on learning about addition in math. I was rather nervous of getting to this lesson because I wasn't sure how to explain it to her so she would 'get' it. Another one of those 'should I REALLY be homeschooling her?' moments.

Anyways, we started the lesson out, and she got the concept immediately, and did 3 pages really fast in her book (she was only supposed to do 1). So I was happy. She's showing me once again, that it's not about me being a fabulous teacher and explaining things in just the right way... it's about HER learning and having someone to believe in her and encourage her. So today she wanted to do math first thing and again did her work so quickly and cheerfully.

This week I can see how the short 10 min lessons are starting to pay off with helping to develop the habit of attention. Even Flylady uses this principle! LOL.. she says you can do ANYTHING for 15 minutes, so set the timer and do it!.

Speaking of Flylady, I'm trying to get back into some real routines for my own life. I figure if I'm trying to teach Elizabeth virtue, I should be demonstrating it myself, so yesterday being Monday, I made sure all of my laundry was done and on track before I gave myself time on the computer. .. hence the lack of blogging yesterday. It sure does feel good today to know that my work is all done though, and I don't have to think about laundry until next monday again.

No comments: